Chicken Tortilla Soup
- 6 Tablespoons vegetable oil (I used 3)
- 8 corn tortillas, chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 Tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 Tablespoon chile powder (Penzey’s medium hot is great)
- 3 bay leaves
- 6 cups chicken stock or broth
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 4 to 6 cooked chicken breast halves, shredded
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add tortillas, garlic, cilantro, and onion. Saute 2 to 3 minutes.
- Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil and add cumin, chili powder, bay leaves, and chicken stock.
- Return to a boil. Reduce heat. Add salt and cayenne.
- Simmer 30 minutes. Remove bay leaves and stir in chicken. Reheat.
Garnish with shredded cheese, sliced or diced avocado, sour cream, and oven-crisped or fried tortilla strips
Source: Stop and Smell the Rosemary